Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cookies ROCK my world!

I recently was inspired by a photo in my latest Food Network magazine. It was titled Punk Rocks and they were actual parmesan cookies coated in vegetable ash - ash made from charring vegetable & fruit scraps in a super hot oven, then grinding them. Rolling each cookie in the ash to give it a 'rock' appearance. Well a light bulb went off in my head and I said "hey I can try this with my new air brush." So that is what I did. These are super duper easy cookies to make and I think they look pretty impressive. They really do look like rocks and the best thing about it is they do not have to be perfect. Actually the more imperfect they are the better. 
I started out baking some rolled up cookie dough in the shape of what I imagined rocks to look like.
The first step was to airbrush some color on to the cookies. I just used back & brown.
After you have a base coat of color get a brand new tooth brush and dip in some AmeriColor gel . I used brown, black and white. Then start flicking the tooth brush over the cookie to give it a speckled look. I learned this technique from the many art classes I took in grade school. Its so fun and easy. A good pointer before you start. Wear some plastic gloves when doing this if you don't want your fingers stained with coloring. I realized this after the fact haha. 
After that side is finished flip them over and do the same to the other side. I didn't worry about drying time because they seemed pretty dry and again they don't have to be perfect. See how easy these are turning out to be? :)
Once you are finished with both sides you can place them on a plate and take them to an extravagant dinner party and see everyone's reactions when you walk by the plate and pop a rock in your mouth haha. Better yet place a candle in the center to give it a more of a classy look! HA!
HAVE FUN!!!

14 comments:

  1. Haha!!! These are so much fun! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what kind of cookie dough did you use? How did you get it to bake so thick, not spread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mia, I used a cut out sugar cookie recipe like this...
      http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2011/06/basic-sugar-cookie-recipe-2/

      Delete
  3. Ha ha ha...I'm totally going to make these and put them in a tall glass vase at a party. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are AWESOME!! Too bad I don't have an airbrush. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT!? You are blowing my mind! These are sooo so so amazing. I still don't know if I believe these are really cookies! ummmm... you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. Love it! Thanks for sharing. :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are a squeal of delight!!! It really rouses my sense of humor(oneriness)...can't wait to try them out!!! Thanks for a great deal of giggling to start my day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too cute!! Great job! I always have a hard time finding rock candies, now I can just bake these instead! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmygosh, I love-love-love these. Such a unqiue and clever idea. (And any excuse to use the airbrush!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww you guys are all so sweet. Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. These would be the best April Fools day treat!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. How could we do this without an airbrush? Any idea..

    ReplyDelete